One Room Challenge: Starting Week

 I did it!  I can't believe I signed up for the One Room Challenge!!!   Holy smokes!  This is going to push me to get, the one project I have been wanting to do for a while, done.   The best part?  It'll be done before Thanksgiving!!!

Welcome to our living room/entry way.  This is one of the first rooms you see when you are welcomed into our home.  I have been stumped by this room for a long while now and I finally feel like I have a solution that makes complete sense.  I have 6 weeks to complete this list of items.  I'm sure that as I go along I will think of new things to add to my to do list.  Isn't that the way it always works out?  You get started and then its a domino effect and spirals into a much larger project.  Who's with me on that?  Here is a started to do list that I currently am thinking of that needs to be done, not necessarily in this order.  

I am a very transparent person, so this is it.  This is my room without any staging.  This is real life people.  As you can see we need storage, decluttering, and organization. 



My vision is to add built-ins on either side of the fireplace.  I want shelving to display a few photos, decor, as well as storage to hide pillows and extra items that are not used everyday.  I want to change out the mantel as well.  The art will find new homes within the house and the lamps and antique sewing machine are staying, as they are part of my husband's family history. 

If you followed my Instagram stories, you will have seen this angle of the room.  These shelves will be removed and used elsewhere in the house. 

Fun fact: These were my first ever build.  First time picking up any power tools, chop saw, etc.  

I have a pretty good idea of what I want to build.   It'll be similar to this look I found on Pinterest (of course) but with my own spin on it.  It's a good base start.

Task List:

  • Base cabinets
  • Update window trim
  • Area rug
  • shelving around fireplace/cabinets
  • butcher block countertop
  • paint white
  • caulk
  • new baseboard trim
  • add lights to shelving
  • remove 3 shelves from wall 
  • patch holes in wall
  • repaint living room
  • new mantle
  • new lamp shades
Connecting "room"/entryway:
  • Stair skirt
  • stair railing
  • paint stair risers
  • caulk
  • feature wall/board & batten to match the upstairs hallway
  • accent wall in entryway
  • New entryway light
  • paint front door black (interior side)
  • fix front door trim
It's a hefty to do list and I'm confident we can tackle this is in the next 6 weeks!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey Girl!

I Needed To Find My Purpose

ORC: Week One - Built-Ins & Overthinking